Vision Statement: A world at peace with all its citizens practicing EQ at home, school and work.
Purpose Statement: To educate people everywhere on the skills, language, and attitudes necessary to enable individuals, families, companies, organizations, communities, and nation-states to bring EQ, SEL & PE into practice.
Mission Statement – brief: The mission of EQ4Peace is to create global peace by cultivating inner peace (self), interpersonal peace (others) and social peace (communities) through emotional education (EQ) – worldwide.
Mission Statement – expanded: EQ4Peace exists to create global peace by cultivating inner peace (self), interpersonal peace (others) and social peace (communities) through emotional education (EQ) worldwide; helping everyone utilize and practice Emotional Intelligence (EQ), Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and Peace Education (PE) skills and knowledge and accomplishing the following Lines of Effort (LOE) by 2050:
- Establish a Global EQ Environment Initiative
- Strategic Planning & Implementation Initiative
- Acquisition of Needed Resources Initiative
- Curriculum Development Initiative
- Evaluation & Assessments Development Initiative
- Outreach Initiatives (EQ, SEL and PE) Initiative
- International Coalition and Collaboration Initiative
Desired End State (Vision): What do we want the world to look like when all is said and done?
- A world at peace
- Emotional intelligence (EQ) practiced continually by all
- Peace education in all school curricula (K-16)
- EQ curriculum established and utilized at all educational levels
- Teachers, organizational leaders, government officials are educated, developed and practicing EQ skills as a matter of their employment
- Social and emotional intelligence curriculum is incorporated throughout the home, school and work continuums
- Conflict issues are addressed and resolved before peace is endangered
Desired End State Narrative: The world is at peace with all its citizens practicing EQ at the home, school and work environments. EQ, SEL and Peace Education (PE) curriculum is taught throughout all schools (K-12) and universities (all collegiate degrees through the doctoral level). Teachers, organizational leaders, government officials are educated, developed and practicing EQ skills as a matter of their employment.
Current State: What does the world look like today in regards to Peace, Peace Education, EQ, SEL and conflict resolution?
- The world is in constant turmoil regarding peace
- Emotional ignorance
- Ego, macho/power
- Cultural differences among populations
- Countries are not aligned with the concept of peace
- Practice is EQ is limited, and even non-existent, in most of the world’s population
- Industrial complex doesn’t want peace
- War pays better than peace
- Societies are more competitive than collaboration
- EQ initiatives are not supported nor funded, nor even understood
- Geographical dispersion
- Cultural dispersion
- Economic dispersion
- Operating on a mindset of scarcity, rather than abundance
- Overall, low war pays better emotional literacy
- 6 Seconds State of the Heart data, 2020
- Significant issues around self-awareness and interpersonal skills
- Culture of knowledge / cognitive domain is more important than affective domain in home, work and schools
- IQ > EQ, preferential treatment/views
Current State Narrative: The world is in constant turmoil with continual conflicts among nation states, peoples, cultures and the Home, School and Work Environments. In general, countries are not aligned with the concept of peace; societies are more competitive than collaborative; the industrial complex doesn’t want peace (war pays much better); and the world is faced with geographical dispersion, cultural dispersion, and economic dispersion, which causes operating on a mindset of scarcity, rather than abundance. Current societal divides and cultural differences are creating rifts among peoples of the world. Utilization of EQ, SEL and Peace Education in the home, school and work environments is minimal across the world as evidenced by a rise in conflicts of all nature, increases in bullying in personal space as well as the virtual space, and dramatic increases in suicide rates (now the #2 cause of death in the USA in 10-24 year olds), substance abuse, obesity, and domestic violence across the globe. EQ, SEL and Peace Education initiatives in general are not understood, supported, nor funded.
When implemented, SEL and Peace Education programs are inconsistent, partially or poorly funded, inadequately executed and limited, and often not evaluated for effectiveness. The current mindset of the world is that IQ is more important than EQ. The world faces significant issues around self-awareness and interpersonal skills resulting in a culture of knowledge / cognitive domain being more important than affective domain which directly impacts the implementation of EQ, SEL and Peace Education programs taking a back seat to the ever-growing demand of becoming intellectually smarter despite research indicating that IQ alone does not make a person successful.
Problem Identification: What is getting in the way of achieving the Desired End State?
- Limited awareness of emotional intelligence, and its power to become the problem solution.
- Limited resources: money, trained facilitators, educational spaces, time, etc.
- Cultural differences worldwide
- Inadequate curriculum for EQ, SEL, & Peace Education
- Lack of central repository for EQ, SEL, & Peace Education resources (curriculum, experiences, lesson plans, research, etc.)
- Lack of marketing skills
- Lack of resourcing skills (fund raising, people, time, etc.)
- Lack of acceptance of validity of EQ and Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) as a necessary or important aspect for obtaining and maintaining peace.
- Language barriers
- Extensive scope & breadth of project
Problem Statement Narrative: Limited awareness and use of Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and Peace Education (PE) efforts, along with limited and inadequate resources (funding; curriculum for EQ, SEL, & Peace Education; marketing skills; trained personnel; facilities; etc.) and the myriad of cultural differences creates a lack of acceptance of the validity of EQ, Social and Emotional Learning (SEL), Peace Education (PE) and as necessary and important aspects for obtaining and maintaining peace throughout the world.
Operational Approach Identification): What actions, lines of effort and goals (Vision) are we willing to commit resources and energy to in order to overcome the barriers keeping us from moving from the Current State to the Desired End State?
Lines of Effort
- Resources needed
- Curriculum (acquire, maintain, design & develop)
- General Public
- Assessments (Pre- & post-education testing)
- K-5 / 6-8 / 9-12
- Undergraduate / graduate
- General public
- Outreach Initiatives (EQ, SEL, and PE)
- Internet / social media
- International Coalition Effort
- Establish governmental liaisons with education leaders, teachers and administrators, worldwide
- Cultural integration / alignment with peace
- Cultural & language barriers resolved
- EQ-360 Environment (Technology-Based Network, both Online and In Person)
- EQ Database: A searchable, worldwide repository of all things EQ, including resources, solutions, tips, lessons, curricula, memes and research
- EQ University: Offering all ages and levels of education and training, from Preschool to PhD
- EQ Family: A safe, secure, sustainable online and offline emotional support and reinforcement community building relationships, inclusion, belonging, mentoring, buddy systems and emergency support services
- Strategic Planning & Implementation
- Build a balanced scorecard system to properly track and measure efforts and results.
Join us, as we help bring peace to our world.